Keep on top of your tax deadlines and ensure you’re well prepared for any due dates. Find all of the Canadian and U.S., corporate and individual tax deadlines below, in an up-to-date calendar prepared by our team of tax consultants for you.
• To file U.S. individual income tax returns for 2021 or 6-month extension requests
• To file 2021 Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, FinCEN report 114 (formerly FBAR), for US citizens living in Canada
• Extended 2021 US individual income tax return (1040)
• Extended 2021 Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts
*If the deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday or a holiday, taxpayers have until the next business day to file.
**If filed, NR6 for rental income to reduce withholdings the required (not elective)
Deadlines that are dependent on the fiscal year include:
- T2 Corporation Income Tax returns – due 6 months after the fiscal year (watch for earlier deemed year-ends)
- T106 Transactions with non-arm’s length non-residents – due at the same time as the T2 return
- T1135 Foreign reporting of foreign assets (other than foreign affiliates – due at the same time as the T2 return
- T1134 Foreign reporting for foreign affiliates – for taxation beginning in 2021 or later, now due 10 months after the year-end (e.g., due October 31, 2022 for a December 31, 2021 year-end)
- T3 Returns for estates with a non-calendar year – due 90 days after the fiscal year
Federal COVID-19 relief:
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) and Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS) ended October 23, 2021.
- Deadlines to make claims for the August, September, and October 2021 periods are February 24, March 24, and April 21, 2022, respectively
- Wage and rent subsidies programs extended to May 7, 2022 include:
- Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit (CWLB)
- Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) – $450 after taxes withheld per week
- Local Lockdown Program – wage subsidy program to February 12, 2022
BC COVID-19 relief:
- Relief for individuals and families
- Relief for businesses, NPOs and community organizations
- BC Tourism Accommodation and Commercial Recreation Relief Fund – application is due February 14, 2022
- BC COVID-19 Closure Relief Grant of $1,000 to $20,000 – application is due February 28, 2022 (or earlier if the funding is all committed)
More information on loans, grants, and other supports, as well as links to some of the federal benefits listed above, can be found on the Government of British Columbia Economic Recovery page.